Saturday, 6 September 2008

"...And to make you toe the line..." Grace gets belts, glasses and paranoid...

Saturday, 6 September 2008
This will be quick. I was in Castlebar today to get glasses and then to attend something which went belly-up on my end, but resulted in me sitting here, typing this. So, not too bad. Even though I can't help but feel recently I've done nothing except for let people down. especially myself. Ooh. How deep am I today!

And of course I went into Oxfam. It really is my favourite place. I tell you guys because I know you're not like some of those girls I've met who admire your clothes, but only if they think you've paid a fortune for them in River Island or BT2. Recently someone like that was heard to say about me (I wasn't there) : "She's very fashionable, isn't she?" but somehow managed to make it sound as if she had pointed out I was, I don't know, littering.
But then again I'm quite. Maybe it was just general tone of voice and had nothing to do with me. I've completely forgotten my point. Oh yes, I got this really strange zip up knitted cardigan thing, which reminds me of in the 90s when young teenagers in films used to dress strangely, as if that was their idea of how the future would look. But it definitely wasn't very nice. You know what I mean? With loads of zips and man-made fabrics and strange metallics and things like that? And really the kind of stuff you see in Sister Sister, Sabrina or the (excellent) film, Clueless**. I know that wasn't really official "90s fashion", not what people mean when they talk about it, but it's what I think of.



I also got a nice little multi-coloured skirt, probably from H&M - have I told you about how Oxfam Castlebar is full of H&M stuff? - and one of THOSE dresses. Those dresses a|wear was, and maybe still is, full of. I wasn't sure about them, but the fact it was a fiver made me buy it and decide I would think of what to do with it after. You know the ones. That sort of look like a white shirt with a pencil skirt, but it's all one thing?
My brother bought a Spanish guitar for €25, I think that was quite a ... well, I don't know, but I was impressed.

I found a pair of bright orange floral Doc Martens in our house. In my size. AGHHHH! So 90s and wonderful they hurt my brain. I'll be wearing those out, I reckon.
I think they once belonged to my cousin.
And GUESS WHAT? You will never believe it. I actually went down to my bedroom just there, after typing 'AGHHH' to take a picture of them and upload it here, and be a good little blogger for once, but... My camera's battery died. Not my fault, this time! I'm going to go through this blog and make a list of everything that I said that I would take a photo of (if it's interesting enough) and show them all here.

And my granny gave me or my dad or my brothers, I'm not really sure but I took them, a massive bag of men's belts. I know she volunteers at a charity shop sometimes, so they could be from there, or else she was just doing a clean-out, but they were all really great and I now have a massive EXCESS of belts. Woohoo!

What else? Oh, yes, I got glasses. New ones. They won't be ready by Wednesday. Now, they're okay. I wouldn't say I love them, but I cannot find my perfect pair, so I had to make do. I wanted a massive pair of old man glasses as well, but the ladies in the shop talked me out of it, as I knew they would do. I'll just buy of pair of those clear plastic things in H&M. Because I have the right to, being a member of the bespectacled community!

Now. One other thing, new addition to the blogroll is baabaablogging.blogspot.com. I know the author from drama classes and she writes poetry and fiction and it's just great and you all should read it! But don't come giving out to me, demanding I be of the same standard in my own blogging. It's not going to happen. I'm too lazy and shambolic*.

So... Fifth Year is certainly going ... Well, it's just going. I think lots of things are going to be fun and interesting and all the rest, but now the creeping feeling I only had in Chemistry and Maths has spread to all of my subjects: When are they going to realise I don't belong in this class?
I live in constant fear of my teacher and other classmates finally realising, no, I am not a science-minded person, or I am not good at Maths, or whatever and chasing after me with pitchforks and torches. I don't know why I feel like that in every other subject now as well. I guess in Art, I mean, everyone is so AMAZING at Art. When we get down to the drawing and stuff they will realise I am not half as good! My English essays are scattered and mad and now we actually have to read them out! I don't even want to talk about Irish... I think you get the picture. It's been a week of paranoia.

It's true I have way too many clothes. It's something everyone says. And I have repeated outfits many times. Just maybe not around the same people. It's all a clever ruse.
I think maybe soon I will devote a whole blog to that subject. Maybe the 'finally, the photos' blog.
I can't think of much else to say. Australia's Next Top Model** is on in half an hour. I've been following whatever season of Britain's... Living have been putting on every day, conveniently just when I am home from evening study, all homework done. It's no where near as good as America's... but I am making do. It's like a fix at this stage. The Australian version will fill in for the British one today, and all will go out the window when the new season of the American one starts. I am not snobby, however, I will watch any. Sweden's..., Canada's..., bring them on.

Saw Step Brothers in the cinema. It was very funny. Lots of shouting and swearing, typically Will Ferrell and John C. Reilly. I think I embarrassed my boyfriend a bit by roaring my head off laughing. It's not that I'm easily amused (even though I am), it's just I find the funny side of everything absolutely hilarious. Usually.

Now for a very usual exit on this blog, I am off to find some food! I feel like an omlette. Or a savoury*** pancake. Something like that.
Mmm. I think we have those Aldi waffles.
Okay, bye!
grace.xx

*American Firefox, my dear old friend and enemy, with your automatic spell-checker denouncing words which clearly are words, even if thefreedictionary.com says they are slang.
**I know I am really inconsistent with what kind of style to go for when naming titles of things. I's something that bugs me, that I haven't settled. I should have a Master Style sheet or whatever they called those things we were learning about in Computers. I'll have to do some thinking and decide on a standard.
***I am going to get a British spell-checker. Or maybe none at all, I am well capable of proof-reading my own things (I mean that, even if it's not that evident), but reading through everything is boring. Not when you have a machine to tell you if something is wrong. It gets annoying when the machine itself is wrong. TOO MUCH IN THE FOOTNOTES! I am like Larry.

4 comments. you can do better.:

Ken Armstrong said...

Hi Grace, I have a little Doc Marten story, if you ever fancy a look, I cheekily put a link around here somewhere:

'Doc Marten Story'

We Castlebar heads have to stick together you know.

Nice Blog, can I call back again?

:)

PS Oxfam *is* fab innit?

Grace said...

Thanks, Ken!
Oh, please do. Even though I really don't know if you'll want to!

I loved your story, by the way. Oh, my God, I physically recoiled in horror and ... squeamish-ness! 'But it was excellent.

The man in our local shoe-shop said they're coming all back in. I really had no idea. We're well ahead of the trends! ;)

swall said...

I loovee you and you're not letting ME down!
Also, DOC MARTIN'S! I want a black pair, but I'm worried if I buy a pair I won't wear them and it'll be a waste of money. I do that a lot, actually..


oh, and one doesn't need to be a member of the bespectacled community to wear fakeys.
they're just so darn COOL!

Fiendish said...

Ooh, linkage! You're too kind, Grace.

As for Oxfam, I have never found anything in there except a huge vintage Kangol hat with a little black veil that comes down over the eyes. I love it, but naturally it's not really every day wear. Or any day wear.

I laughed out loud at your description of "those dresses," because I knew *exactly* what you meant. I also got an a|wear dress for a fiver recently, it was Vincent dePaul's; a kind of blue knitted thing with a scoop neck and ties at the waist.

I also want a huge pair of man glasses. Thing is, I don't wear glasses. But I have been quite seriously considering just buying a fake pair.

 
◄Design by Pocket